The Deuce #3 Heavy Duty Backcountry Trowel Green
- Weighing less than 2 tablespoons of water
- The Deuce #3 Heavy Duty Backcountry trowel by TheTentLab is light but tough.
- Aerospace-grade aluminum lets you dig and pry with ease, even on rocky ground.
- Color = Green
- The Deuce® #3 uses our new design with teeth on the leading edge of the blade for “sawing” into hard dirt and cutting roots as you run into them at the bottom of your hole.
Features of Deuce #3 Back-country Trowel
- 4 teeth on the leading edge of the blade are just right for working through small roots and hard clay; teeth can be resharpened with a rock for easy back-country maintenance
- #3 is bigger and twice as strong as #2 model for easy and fast digging and prying on tough terrain
- Made of aerospace-grade, U.S.-produced 7075-T6 aluminum for high strength and durability
- Handle has small ripples to improve friction and grip
- Versatile construction means you can also use it as a shoe horn or bottle opener
- Product is guaranteed for life by the manufacturer
- Made in Korea
The Deuce #3 is our full-sized trowel. It’s bigger, stronger, and more comfortable to use than our other Deuces. If your back-country cat holes are routinely tough to make because of hard and rocky ground, this is your trowel.
The Deuce #3 is made of thicker material than a regular Deuce® making it twice as strong and very easy on the hands. It withstands aggressive prying really well – no advanced techniques necessary. And it’s bigger – it moves about 50% more dirt per scoop than our #2. Yet it weighs no more than .97ounces (27.6 grams) – that’s slightly less than the weight of TWO tablespoons of water.
The Deuce® #3 uses our new design with teeth on the leading edge of the blade for “sawing” into hard dirt and cutting roots as you run into them at the bottom of your hole. And it has finger-grip ripples on the handle.
We’re emphasizing two things: using it handle-down to break up hard soil and scooping & prying with it the strong way – levering against the spine (logo side), not the other way.
Here’s how to use it:
• Using the handle end, cut the outline of your cat hole.
• Using the scoop end, pry up the center of your cat hole as one piece
• This method creates a great leave-no-trace top plug for your hole when you’re done.
Once you get used to using the Deuce’s handle this way, you’ll find yourself flipping it right side-up and upside-down all the time as you make your hole deeper. It’s really very effective.